Just barely a month old and he gets sick! On Sunday night around 11pm Carson woke up feverish and miserable. He cried like he hurt. When he would finally fall asleep he moaned the sadest moan. This continued through the night, all day Monday and through the night again. Tuesday morning came after a very long night and I decided it was time to take him to the doctor asap!
At the doctor's office he was weighed- 10 pounds 15 ounces! That's 3 pounds gained in 4 weeks and 3 days! He's so chubby I love it! Then they took his temp and it was 101.6. A little higher than at home. I was told that he needed to go to the hospital to get checked out thoroughly and have some tests done to make sure it wasn't something too serious.
Newborns (2 months and younger) don't usually get fevers. When they do doctors take it very serious. They want to rule out any bacterial infections or catch them as soon as possible to give proper treatment. The three major ones are spinal meningitis, bacterial infection in the blood, and a urine or kidney infection. All can be very dangerous if left untreated.
When we arrived at the ER they had already received word that we were coming. We only had to wait about 15 minutes. Poor Carson had to get blood drawn, give a urine sample through a catheter and get a spinal tap. It was so hard to watch him go through it all. I think I'm more traumatized than he is. I would have gladly taken his place in a heartbeat!
Carson then was admitted to the hospital. For 48 hours it was a waiting game. He received 2 different kinds of antibiotics which would treat a wide range of bacterial infections (just in case that is what was wrong). During this time we waited for the results of his cultures.
End result (and to keep a long story short): Cultures came back negative and his illness was ruled a viral infection. EXACTLY what we were praying for! No lengthy hospital stay to receive more antibiotic treatment.
This was our biggest scare we have had to date with our babies. I have never had a newborn get a fever. It's scary and as parents we worry every time our kids get sick. This was no exception. To hear a doctor say "you need to take your baby to the hospital" is a heart stopping moment. My mind immediately went to worse case scenario. I was an emotional wreck to say the least. I am so grateful that everything turned out the way it did. I do wish Carson hadn't of had to go through the tests he did, but I am grateful that we were blessed to have caring and knowledgeable physicians and nurses taking care of us.
As of right now, Carson is still having low grade fevers every time his Tylenol wears off. He is a little fussy and has a viral rash all over his body. The doctor said both should go away within 72 hours. If not then he needs to be checked out. We are still praying for him to get better quickly (it's already been 4 days). All he wants is to be held and snuggled. So that's what he's getting. But at least we are home. Sleeping in a recliner for 2 nights while holding a baby non-stop was getting really old!
I want to thank my wonderful husband for taking care of our other kids and the house. Thank you to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law for watching my kids while Chris worked. And a special thank you to my friend Becky for taking time out of her day to come and hold my baby so I could shower and brush my teeth! And thank you for all your prayers on Carson's behalf. I know he'll be better in no time!













17 comments:
Awwww, poor little thing! I always feel so awful when the babies get sick and have to go through so much poking and prodding. But I'm glad everything came back okay...and I'm glad you're home! That makes a huge difference! He looks so cute and is getting so big already!
Glad that you guys are finally home and that it wasn't anything serious. Also what about a big thanks to your sister in law to talked to you on the phone so that you didn't get really bored. I see how it is! Oh and for the welcome home cookies. Man so many things unnoticed. HA!
I'm so glad Carson is feeling better. I can't believe he is sick in these pics--he looks so happy! He must know he's loved: )
Oh Katie that's horrible. I hope he's on the mend. Give him a BIG kiss from us.
I am so glad you are home. Anna had meningitis last year and it was the scariest thing to watch them in so much pain. So, I know about those horrible spinal taps. She spent 4 days in the hospital. I would rather be sick any day, than watch my kids be sick and feel helpless. That last picture is so adorable.
Oh, that breaks my heart!! I am so sorry you all had to go through that. But how great that nothing was seriously wrong.
Can I just say how cute he is though? He is getting so big already!
Wow..what a scary thing. I'm glad everything turned out ok. It sounds like you had a ton of great help. How nice to live close to family:)
I knew I was thinking of you for a reason, so sorry the sweet little guy got sick, so scary, I am glad you are home and hope everone is getting some rest.
Ohh... poor carson! That is heart breaking to see your baby go through that. I'm glad it was just viral. P.S. You look so awesome!
I'm so happy you are home... I have to admit, I can't think of anything I would have rather done than hold your sweet little baby. It was exactly what I needed to do that day. I was absolutely honored. Infact, time seemed to stand still for me and I still accomplished other things that day. Probably more than I would have had I not been blessed by Carson and Katie presence. Thanks for letting me hold him... WE LOVE YOUR FAMILY!
That is so scary, I'm so sorry you've had to go through that. Honestly, it takes me make to when Jackson was 4 months old, we went through the exact same thing. Everything from the hospital to all the aweful testing that just kills you, and the poor tech that have to administer these test on a newborn to the hospital stay and blood cultures. Same diagnosis too. On the bright side your baby looks so healthy! And adorable too. He seems to have a really great family! Hang in there!
that makes me feel so sad, hope all is okay he is so sweet, i don't like that when little ones get sick, they can't tell you were anything hurts...glad your prayers were answered...
poor little sweetie! What a horrible experience but I'm so glad it was "just a virus" and that he's doing better!
So heartbreaking...What a scary thing to go through and hard for the poor little guy!! I am glad it wasn't serious and I hope he is doing better!!
poor baby! i'm sorry i missed this. glad things turned out OK. and everyone is home safe.
So glad he's home. I can't imagine going through that with such a small baby. My husband actually had something similar when he was 5 days old and had to have a spinal tap done. So glad that Carson's doing well and that smile is just gorgeous!
OH my goodness!! I know exactly what you mean. Gage was 2 days old and we went thru that-- it's so emotionally draining. I feel for the little guy. I was recently in the hospital with Tagg and he hated the bed too...we didn't sleep at all while we were there. And those darned wires. They wouldn't let me co-sleep...I finally committed the ultimate sin and put him on his belly!! (and then lied and said he does that one his own...so bad...but I HAD to sleep)! Please let us know that he's better, I'm worried about him and YOU!! I wishh there was something I could do for you.
Post a Comment