Carson's 2nd CT scan looks really good. No fluid build up and pressure. He was playing with some toys and his toes and IV yesterday. He seemed to be feeling a lot better.
Later though, his fever came back. It keeps coming back. This morning at 4 he started vomiting. They are pretty sure it is just from the illness and not stemming from his brain. Thank goodness. Hopefully he will get past this stage and stay out of it very soon.
At 3:30pm yesterday Carson was finally taken back to get his PICC line. It was scheduled for 2:30pm and he had been fasting since 4am. That extra hour was torture. While they were giving him his PICC he got a hearing test done. I imagined myself reporting that all is well.
All is not well.
I was taken into a tiny room and sat down and told that Carson has mild hearing loss in his left ear and severe hearing loss in his right ear.
I was not expecting that. I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't believe it would actually happen. I feel like I should be waking up any second and breathing a sigh of relief that this was all just a very bad dream. Oh how I wish it were.
Chris wasn't here yet when I was given the news. I held onto it for about 2 hours before I actually was able to utter the words. I also didn't want to tell him over the phone.
Today at 4:30pm we meet with the Dr. about Carson's new hearing condition.
I was emotional and in shock when I was given this news that truly blind-sided me. Now I just feel numb. I keep picturing him growing up and all the challenges he may face. I don't like it.
I never thought that we would actually be going through anything like this. Sure there is worse out there. Sure it could have been MUCH worse. Still could. But not ME. Not MY baby.
But yet, here we are.
Sounds selfish I know.
Sorry, I wasn't done when publish post accidentally got hit.
Just want you to know I am not full of complete sorrow.
I know that as we exercise faith that all things are possible through our Father in Heaven. I know that the trials that we are given are meant for our benefit. It is our opportunity to grow and exercise our faith in fasting and prayer. We will get through this and all will be well.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



17 comments:
sometime miracles surprise us and maybe his hearing will be that miracle faith and prayer is a very powerful thing, hang in there... were thinking about you and your family...
Everything will be ok. This is how he is suppose to be, it is part of His plan. Call me when you want and I will come and see you later this evening.
Katie I am sorry to hear about this. We were all hoping that there would be no side effects! Just have faith! Heavenly Father is watching over your sweet boy and can comfort him and you! Prayers coming your way!
I'm so, so sorry Katie. I'm praying for you guys!
Im so sorry Katie. You are right, it could be worse, but still you just want your kids to have it the easiest that they can. I took sign language for many years in college and LOVED it. I always thought it would be a challenge to have a child that needed sign language but I would take it over MANY other things. (blindness)
Hang in there, miracles can happen.
You guys will be in my prayers
Thinking of you! No one thinks you're selfish for wanting to keep your kids healthy and 'normal'. You'll get through this.
Hugs
I'm so sorry Katie. We'll keep praying for you guys. Everything will work out. This will end up blessing your family in so many ways... I just KNOW it!
oh my gosh, I hadn't viewed your blog until today and didn't know about any of this going on. That is terrible I'm soooo sorry. I know all about the nightmare of having a baby in the hospital, very scary. We will keep you in our prayers too and hope for the best. I truly believe that down the road you will look back and find some blessing in disguise from this. Trials like these have a way of bringing families closer together. We love you guys.
Katie! I am so sorry. So sorry you had to hear that terrible news all alone!! You're so right it could be so much worse, but it's not the news you wanted to hear either. No one wants hear that!!! I love what your 1st commenter said, I hope that a miracle will occur...don't give up!! You keep up the faith and we'll keep up the prayers ;) Give your little guy hugs and kisses from us!!
You have the right attitude, Katie. It could be much worse. But when you are in that moment, especially, with your own child, nothing could possibly seem worse. You have the patience you need to help your little one through this struggle. He is very blessed to be a part of your family. We are thinking and praying for your family's strength.
We love you.
Hey Katie- I'm so sorry you guys are going through this! I just read your last 3 posts today, and I'm relieved that they caught it when they did, meningitis is really scary, but I can't imagine how it must feel to know your baby has suffered some hearing loss. You and Carson will be in my prayers!
Oh Katie sweetie. We are given trials
in our life and we never understand why until down the road. Miracles happen. Keep the faith. You and your family and the support from everyone will get you through. I don't think you're any of those things you talked about. It, I'm sure is a normal reaction. I love you guys. Kiss Carson for me.
Oh Katiegirl! So sorry for the trials that you are facing. Hope you know there are lots for prayers coming to you and little Carson Love Ya Jen
Danget, I was hoping for no side effects either. I have a good friend who got Meniere's disease a few years ago. She lost 90% hearing in one ear and about 25% in the other ear. The only thing that's different now is when we are walking, I am sure to walk on her good side so she can hear me ok. She doesn't have hearing aids or anything, she just uses her better ear as much as possible. Most people don't even know. Hopefully everything will turn out ok. We are praying for you guys!
Katie,
I will keep you guys in my prayers. Things will work out for the best. Just have faith. Trust in God and things will work out the way they are suppose to. I am sorry you guys are going through this. Hang in there. Things will get better.
Wishing Carson a speedy recovery! Hope you get some sleep, I know how those hospital stays can be! My prayers are with you. Our family saw a lot of miracles last year thanks to prayer.
I'm BELIEVING God (a popular Beth Moore quote if you happen to follow her) that your faith and His promises will bring you comfort and much needed answer to prayer.
Hugs to Carson and love to you!
Post a Comment